dire and dear

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Got the ebb, got the flow

Well.

I got the job. Really, I'm just as surprised as you are. It seems that my mutant ability for self-sabotage (secret identity: The Self Destructor!) was mysteriously absent. Despite feeling seriously outclassed by the situation, the concept of leaving Toronto, the other more qualified applicants, the group interview, and the private interview, the job is mine if I want it. Lest anyone think that I'm being unduly modest, offered below are snippets of dialogue which seriously made me question my abilities, nay, my very right to be there:

"Sam, do you, uh, have anything to say?"
"Actually, I just graduated Teacher's College."
"Really? I teach sign language to the deaf. It's a dream come true."
"Actually Sam, I don't think England ever played Portugal."
"Okay Sam, there was something else Tenzen did during the group interview when he was explaining how to teach to students, do you remember what it was?"

And my personal favorite:

"Alright Sam, how would you explain that without using bad grammar?"

Wow. I guess they really will just take anyone. Despite the that I had been assured of that very fact by a friend who had done this two years ago, I am still surprised that they offered me this position. Other choice advice from this friend was that I shouldn't sleep with a student, because that is virtually the only thing they will fire you for. He also assured me that during the first three weeks of your time there, this is a very hard rule to remember. As a sidenote, when talking to my younger brother and repeating said advice, he fixed me with a grave stare and then said in a tone as serious as a Old Testament prophet with a hangover: "Uh, yeah. That's gonna be a problem for you". Ever supportive.

I'm going to get the information package in a few days, which will outline when and where I'm going to be going. I've been told to read over it and send it back to them. I'm not quite sure what to make of this pleasant, slightly nervous feeling I'm bathed in.

It couldn't be that I'm happy and excited, could it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home