dire and dear

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Look for me, I'll be around

The blind, impersonal forces that rule the universe seem to be distracted lately. How to otherwise explain the hope that's been offered to me?

Ladies and gentleman, I may be going to Japan in the fall. Now, this is highly premature as I have not been offered the job yet, let alone gone in for a interview. But I have a good feeling about this. God help me, I need those to get by. The organization is called the Nova group, and they specialize in sending over-educated dilettantes abroad to spread the good news of the English language. The interview is next week, and it's a full day. The first half of the day is spent in group interview, interacting with (possible) future peers and staff members, the next half is spent in an one on one interview. I've done my homework, and this organization seems to be delightfully non-sketchy. I have friends who can vouch for them. If all goes well, I'll be off to the mysterious orient in the next three months. The only thing that I'm now upset about, because I have to be upset about something is why I didn't think of this sooner.

The only explanation is a type of spiritual or emotional lassitude. I'm essentially a comfort loving creature. If certain very low conditions are met, I'm content to drift by. If I have a job, any job, no matter how miserable it makes me, as long as I have money I'm content. Then, if I have friends to hang out with, that completes it. I get comfortable, I've adjusted to my environment, and there is no need for change. Due to a lot that has happened with me lately, I've realized that spiritual growth needs a material incentive. To use a scientific metaphor, it's like the punctuated-equilibrium variation of evolution propounded by Stephen Jay Gould. Creatures adapt perfectly to their environment and don't change until a disaster occurs and they have to evolve or die. People won't change or grow as individuals until they're left with no other options. Because change is scary and unpleasant and uncertain. The only thing more unpleasant is dying, whether physically or otherwise. Furthermore, it's unrealistic to expect people to change unless they have this unconditional reason. The only people who do it without are saints, and sometimes even saints need a kick in the ass before they decide to be them.

I'm no different. Had I not been called on certain types of my own behavior, I wouldn't even have started thinking about this, and I am grateful to the friends and circumstances that have forced me to.

On a lighter note, I want to say thanks to everybody who made my birthday so awesome. Guys, I'm totally rocking the Ipod. With only five hundred songs allowed, I only have songs on it that I'm sure I'll want to listen to. Also, a public thanks to Jamila, who sent me Everyman and The Death Of Ivan Illyich. I read thought them both in one day, and I'm probably going to read through again for good measure.

I'll let everyone know about the Nova group thing as it develops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home