dire and dear

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What outside world?

What a nice feeling it is to be able to rest. I really didn't realize how much the Potarini job took out of me until I finally stopped working there. My long weekend was only remarkable by how much of it I spent asleep. On Sunday night I went to bed at one in the morning, woke up briefly at seven the next morning, and then proceeded to sleep until three that afternoon. I suppose I'm not used to working that hard, physically. Wait, for physically, instead read "at all".
Outside of sleeping, I've been doing a lot of reading. Jane Austen, in particular. I'm surprised to be liking it, and I'm also surprised by how funny it is. At twenty-five, I know this is trite. I have tried reading her before, but I've never been able to sustain an interest past the hundredth page. Stamina issues. Also, she seemed to be a bit cruel. One passage that made an impression on me was from Pride and Prejudice, while describing a mother who talking about her no-good son who died at sea, mentions that "she cried more tears over him now, than she had at his funeral", or words to that effect. I think it helps that I'm reading Northanger Abbey, which is supposed to be a type of parody of gothic romances, particularly The Mysteries of Udolpho, which I also haven't read. What I'm finding interesting about this book is how Austen uses language in order to manifest a person's moral character. Like how she does with the odious John Thorpe, whose vulgarity is made manifest to the reader by his constant splitting of infinitives, as well as his repeating vile saying: "He's as rich as a Jew".
Speaking of horribly feeble segues, I'm also reading James Wood. With all due respect to the Pope, this is the only guy I consider infallible. At least when he's writing about books. I've been going through The Irresponsible Self, and I've been really trying not to run out and buy everything he recommends. My respect for Wood's critical ability borders on the slavish, hell,is slavish. Only a fellow Woodian(?) like my friend Jammy could understand. She claims that he's ruined her for other men, a claim to which I can only say, "Likewise". Jammy, working together we can split him up, and, I dunno, take turns serving him? I hear the English can be surprisingly opened minded about those kinds of arrangements. Good for them.

10 Comments:

  • I just picked up the broken estate. I'm very excited to read it. Have you read that one? I think it's his first.

    By Blogger j, At 5:45 PM  

  • That was the first thing I ever read by him. His essay on Melville is what convinced me to read Moby Dick. The title essay is amazing. His take on Roth worth reading too. Ah hell, just read the whole thing.

    By Blogger Sam, At 9:02 PM  

  • I was just going to tell you to read the essay about Austen!

    By Blogger j, At 3:10 PM  

  • That was the one essay I hadn't read in the book because I wasn't an Austen fan. I read it after I finished Northanger abbey. Of course, it was excellent.

    By Blogger Sam, At 9:09 PM  

  • I haven't read some of the authors he discusses but I'm reading all the essays anyway. I figure, if they don't direclty illuminate the texts discussed, they illuminate life in general, right?

    By Blogger j, At 4:51 AM  

  • "Nothing marks Life of Pi as a contemporary Postmodern novel more strongly than its theological impoverishment (for all that it seems to scream theological richness): instead of being interested in the theological basis of Pi's soul, it is really interested only in the theological basis of storytelling. The former is or could be a day to day, lived reality; the latter is only a piquant but now familiar contemporary abstraction...It is fine to tell contemporary readers that their God is or should really be Story; most of them think that anyway. But who is Pi's God? That is the deeper, and unanswered question. After all, it is by experiencing Pi's credulity that our own credulity might have been not only seduced but engaged and challenged. I fear that Yann Martel has only seduced ours and then in effect congratulated himself for doing it so vividly."

    If I find a moment to detach myself from Andrew Davies' ankle at the Hay Festival, I might look up a book or two by James Wood.

    By Blogger Susannah, At 5:54 AM  

  • Susannah, you have to read "The Broken Estate". It's an amazing work of criticism which you are almost uniquely endowed to appreciate. Get it! Get it now! They might even have it at the Hay Festival.

    By Blogger Sam, At 11:34 AM  

  • Jammy, I've went out and bought "Confessions of Zeno", "Hunger", "Flight w/o End" and "In a Free State". All of these are books by authors that Wood enjoys. I think I have a problem.

    By Blogger Sam, At 11:52 AM  

  • Sammy, I'm ridiculously happy when you update your blog.
    What's a split infinitive?

    By Blogger Jessica McGann, At 6:19 PM  

  • That's awesome! How do you think I finally got turned onto Bellow!?

    By Blogger j, At 12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home