dire and dear

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Modern Day Mugging

"Dost Sam fear God for nothing?"
-Book of Job (updated)

Well, I was planning on writing about how reading " Keep the Aspidistra Flying", is mostly superfluous, seeing as I how I AM Gordon Comstock these days; but fortunately something much more interesting happened to me last night.
I was mugged.
I was walking east bound on Bloor, past the old Crossways mall, on the north side on the street. I've walked past there literally millions of times, usually much later and much drunker. I've never felt unsafe walking in that area. As I was walking, I glanced up at the stairwell and saw three kids hanging out and smoking. They looked up and saw me, and I kept walking. Again, no big deal.
As I was walking under the underpass (There's a huge bridge there that the Go train passes over), I felt a sudden weight on my back and an arm around my throat. I think I said "What the fuck!". My first reaction was that this was a friend playing a joke on me. Then another kid was in front of me and pushed me to the ground. The entire incident took about two minutes and was wonderfully Benthamite in its execution. When I was on the ground, I think one of them pushed something cold to my throat. I may be just imagining this last bit, as I didn't dare to look. The first kid, the one who pushed me, said "Got an Ipod, man?". A largely redundant question, as he simultaneously ripped it out of my right hand. My cell was gripped tightly in my left. This was well spotted by another assailant, as he then asked "watchoo got in the another hand, man?". To this, I boldly replied "Take it!". He needed no further encouragment. As an afterthought,the first asked "Got a wallet?" to which I nonverablly assented by handing it over. Sastified, they escaped eastward.
I watched them leave as I lay there, and then when it seemed safe to get up, I did so and continued walking to my girlfriend's place. A concerned citizen a few feet in front of me asked "Hey man, are you okay?". Thanks Batman, but by then there was nothing he could've done. I think I muttered something about forgetting it and I would just phone the cops when I got to my girlfriend's place. When I did get there, I rather abruptly commanded that she get me cigarettes, and so began the slow, dull process of getting things cancelled and phoning the cops.
What I find interesting, retrospectively, is my reaction to the entire thing. I wasn't frightened, exactly. Or angry. I just became a blank of automated responses, preprogrammed reactions. I didn't think "Damn, I'm scared! I should hand over xyz". For all the thinking that was going on, I could've been a pair of frog's legs responding to galvanic stimulus. If it makes any sense, I'd describe it as an almost active absence, like thinking would've slowed me down. As someone who has a tendency to overthink and live in his own head, it was a curious experience.
If anything, I might be responsible for introducing them to a better class of Indie rock and hip-hop. Who said there's no such thing as a silver lining? I hope they like Belle&Sebastian and MF Doom.

5 Comments:

  • I hate those assholes, Sammy! I hate them so bad! Nobody mugs my Sammy!

    Well, all right, I guess they *do*, but, like, I wish they didn't. That sucks so much!

    Motherfuckers!

    By Blogger Jessica McGann, At 8:05 PM  

  • Thanks Jessie. I only wish I gave them my blog address too so they could see how fiercely I'm protected. You're a sweetheart.

    By Blogger Sam, At 11:41 AM  

  • SAM! I hate them! I hate them as well! This makes me want to give you things! .. but all I have to offer is my old busted ipod with no battery power & also my fierce protection.

    By Blogger nicole, At 3:02 PM  

  • "For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath." -- Matthew 13:12
    Oh, Sammy! I'm so sorry!

    By Blogger Susannah, At 5:38 AM  

  • I know it's a cliche, but the silver lining in all of this has been how great everyone has been to me. The only way it could be better would be if you guys worked for my bank. Regardless, you guys fucking rule. Thanks for all the kind support (and beer).

    By Blogger Sam, At 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home